Attending a funeral and behaving appropriately during a time of loss are important parts of being a good friend. If you’re ever in doubt about the best way to show your support, feel free to contact the knowledgeable Cavanagh staff.
Tips to get you started:
- At the funeral or visitation, be sure to sign the register book. Also, greet the family members at either your arrival or departure. Offer a hug or shake of hands, depending on your relationship.
- At the service, the first several rows are typically reserved for immediate family, so be sure to sit in an appropriate seat at the funeral.
- When writing a condolence, share a memory, tell them how much their friendship means, and let them know they are on your mind. Our website offers you the opportunity to offer online condolences so your message is immediately delivered to the family. You can find this at the bottom of your loved one’s obituary.
- An immediate quick phone call, visit or note is appropriate and meaningful.
- Send flowers, plants, prayer cards, or money to charitable organizations.
- Show support by lending a helping hand and offering concrete offers of assistance. You might offer to help them:
- Pick up guests from the airport
- Cook meals
- Run errands
- Perform household tasks
- Provide pet or child care